Rare diseases are devastating and patients urgently need treatments and better care. By creating a critical mass of collections and facilitating the exchange of biological material, the EuroBioBank network helps accelerate research on these diseases.
The aims of the EuroBioBank network are to identify and locate repositories of biological material (DNA, tissues, cell cultures, etc) pertaining to RDs, to harmonise and disseminate quality banking practices, to distribute quality material and associated data to scientific users, and to disseminate biobank-pertinent knowledge and know-how to the scientific community through specialised training courses, conferences, articles, and a website.
- Identify and localise biological material of interest to researchers
- Build a critical mass of rare disease sample collections
- Distribute high-quality material and associated data to users
- Promote best-practice guidelines for biobanking activities
- Disseminate knowledge and know-how to the scientific community through training courses
- Enhance collaboration with the medical and scientific community in the field of rare diseases